Monday, April 20, 2009

Radish

Radishes are everywhere!

The Sparkler White Tips take about 4 weeks to harvest, and the Cherry Belle just 22 days, so repeated plantings are necessary if one wishes to have a constant supply. I have planted Sparklers in all the bigger plant pots (tomato, zucchini, gourd) as well as in the empty spot in the wine barrel, and Cherries in the Radish Bin. I won't be re-planting the bigger plant pots... by then the squash shall be producing shade.



Radish Bin: Every wednesday, I'm planting a tiny row of radishes... theoretically, every wednesday I will be able to harvest one row and replant it, giving me an average of one radish a day. I've begun staggering the rows in a zig-zag, as this allows space for 2 more radishes. I'll expect to be clipping leaves here and there for salad additions when the mood strikes.

* radish bin picture



Here is a tiny sprout! It's about half an inch wide, and deceptively cute.




These are some Sparklers at 26 days in the wine barrel, 2-3 inches wide... definitely nowhere near harvest time (expected at 20-30 days), and it hasn't bulbed at all under the soil. Temperatures have been super chilly up until a few days ago and growth has suddenly spurted, so I'm assuming that they've been so slow due to autumn chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment