Monday, April 20, 2009

Worm Composting

I've had a worm compost bin going for about a year, but have been really lazy about putting my food scraps in it. Using it for the wine barrel was perfect, and now that I have a bunch of plants which will want lots of worm tea, I have much more motivation to keep up with the composting.

I'm also lazy about describing the composting process.
*note: do it!

Proof that worm compost is perfect for growing plants: This used to be the bottom slice off a bunch of bok choy, but it grew and stalked and flowered in the year-old bin within a few weeks despite a lack of air flow or light. The hairs at the base of the bok choy are a bunch of sprouted apple seeds. If you want to sprout anything (especially avocados), put it in a worm bin and forget about it for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment